Monday 11 July 2011

Salad.Anyone?

Lately, there has been a bit of a low in terms of "out of the ordinary" things I see on the train.  I had forgotten how lame it can get during summer vacations.  Don't people know I have a blog to write?  Well in lieu of recent news, today I'm going to pull one from the old memory bank and hopefully you will enjoy it. 

Allow me to set the scene.  It's sometime in the summer of 2010. I remember it was summer because the train was hot that day not having the air on while it sat idle at the station.  I would also like to note that hot train = grumpy passengers.

Anyway, I hop on the train for my evening commute and decide that I'm going to switch things up.  I sit in a different car than usual, and decide I'm going to sit in the middle section, rather then the top.  Oh the choices. hehe.  I'm a creature of habit so it's a big deal when I change up my routine. Never the less, I did it. 

So there I am sat in the new car, in the middle section getting myself sorted while other passengers board the train.  The train departs and I begin to look around to see what the kinds of people have boarded this car.  I start to notice a smell.  Something sour was in the air.  I look around and I'm seeing that the other passengers can smell it too.  Then, there it is, plain as day.  The culprit?  An imitation crab pasta salad sat on someone's knee. I look up and see that it's a middle aged woman who is debating whether or not she should eat said pasta salad.  After a little humming and awing, on her part, she decided to eat the salad. Dun, dun, dun.
 
Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but it is crab salad and it is summer time. Ok so it smells bad but that's not the yuckiest part of this whole situation. What's really bad about this scenario is that she's eating her imitation crab pasta salad with her fingers!  Yep she's shovelling it in by her finger tips and licking them after each and every bite. Yuck, yuck, yuck!  I'm no germ-a-phobe but I mean c'mon. You're riding public transit and who knows what you touched last or the last time you washed your hands.  All I can think is I'm glad I'm not the person sat beside her.  That was one lady that must have been seriously hungry! 

In the end, lesson learned.  I avoided that train car for the rest of the summer. I was afraid my stomach wouldn't be able to handle a repeat performance.  And like me other passengers are creatures of habit.  I just hope that eating crab and pasta salad is one habit that woman was able to break. 

No comments:

Post a Comment