Tuesday 10 May 2011

Dude.Where's.My.Wallet?

We interrupt you're regularly scheduled GO train stories to bring you another story.  It has nothing to do with the GO train, but still blog worthy.


As many of you know there was a red alert yesterday about gas prices going way up overnight.  Me, having less then a quarter of a tank left, headed the advice I got from FB friends, parents and the news man.  I went and got me some gas.


I'm sure you can imagine what the station was like when I pulled up.  Well it was probably worse then what you're imagining now.  So I decided that I wasn't going to wait at the first gas station because it was just too chaotic for me.  Off I went down the street to the next station.  Ahh, this is better.  I only have to wait for one car here.  I wait, I pull up to the pump and I get out, wallet in hand.  


I've decided that I'm going to pay at the pump.  More and more people are lining up, so I'm trying to be courteous and be a as quick as possible.  I pull out my Visa, punch in my details, and wait for the authorizing to complete.  Here is where I make mistake #1.  I put my Visa back in my wallet and then I put my wallet on the roof of my car.  Bad, bad, idea.  Authorizing is complete and it's time to pump my gas.  I pump, and I pump until the car will accept no more.  


Just to give you some insight has to how I'm feeling at that moment.  I'm feeling a little rushed and I'm getting anxious.  There are now cars everywhere.  One in front and one in behind.  How am I going to make it out of here without bumping into someone.  And here is where I make mistake #2.  In my anxious state, I hop in my car, start it up and make my way out of the station.  I'm hoping that I don't hit Mr. Beemer's car on my way out.  It's a tight squeeze (thanks for the room dink) but I make it.


Woo hoo!  I'm away from the pumps and ready to make my exit.  Only one more turn and I can relax.  I step on it.  Maybe a little too fast, but hey, I'm on edge here people.  5 mins later, I'm home and I've calmed down.  I'm pleased with myself for getting gas before I got whipped by the price hike.  Take that, gas prices. 


Now here comes the extra cumby part of the story.  I wake up this morning with not a care in the world.  I go about my normal routine, (which includes wishing I didn't have to go to work) and then as I'm about to head out the door, I see it.  Or rather, I don't see it.  And as soon as I see my purse empty as can be, I know exactly what I did.  Dang it!  I left my wallet on the roof of my car!


I called the gas station, no wallet.  I drove to the station and did a search of my own, no wallet.  I did the drive again with my hubby, still no wallet.  Today is not my lucky day.  In the end there is a lesson to be learned and there is a silver lining.  LESSON:  If you like something, and want to keep it.  Don't put it on your car roof.  You WILL drive away with it still on your roof.  SILVER LINING:  It only cost $10 to have my ID replaced AND I now get to go out and buy a new wallet.  Oh and of course a matching purse to go with! 

No comments:

Post a Comment